Tuesday, November 15, 2016

« Trump a gagné ?! »

Almost a week later, the news has barely sunk in. That which started as a joke, as an impossibility, has become our reality: Donald Trump has secured his position as the 45th president of the United States. For me, following the elections while being abroad was an experience in itself.
Being physically absent from the US during this time has in no way hurt my understanding of the campaign process. I, too, have been overloaded with memes and political posts alongside everyone else. I would even go so far as to say that I was more informed in this environment, if nothing else but by necessity.
The first week of the program, I knew little about the political environment of our country. Politics have never strongly interested me, and Trump was still quite a longshot at this point. But it didn’t take long before the questions began. My French host parents and my teachers were curious about our thoughts on this well-known business man running for president. Who was supporting him? And, as the elections grew nearer, how could anyone support him with his childish debate style and crude remarks? At first I had no answers for them. As the semester progressed, however, I tuned in to the political discussions of my American counterparts. I listened, learned, and soon discussed for myself.
In Madrid, I met a Lithuanian and a German on our walking tour who very cautiously asked if I supported Trump before launching into tirade of questions about his supporters and his plans. I was with another American who helped me field these questions, but there was still a point at which we shrugged our shoulders. It couldn’t be possible that this man would win, so why try to explain it?
In Amsterdam I went to a comedy show put on by two American ex-pats living in the Netherlands. In a mix of Dutch and American humor, they articulated just how bizarre of a mix makes up the Republican party and the twists in truth that make up American politics today on both sides.
In short, the whole world seemed to be watching as November 8th grew closer and closer.
Wednesday morning, several of my fellow Americans woke up in the wee hours of the morning and made the trek to the French-American center in Montpellier. Waiting for them was a hot breakfast and lots of French people eager to hear the American perspective on the election that was coming to a close. Some of my friends were even featured in a news report: www.midilibre.fr
As for me, I also woke up (relatively) early, which if you know me is pretty unusual. I heard a joke before the election that we were waiting for the day like it was a cross between Christmas as a kid and a life-threatening surgery. I read the news, walked down the stairs and found my host dad in the kitchen. I said simply:
« Trump a gagné » or « Trump won »
I guess at this point I should mention I was not supporting the Trump campaign, and my apologies to you as a reader if this was your chosen politician. Keep in mind that both at the University of Minnesota and here in France as a part of a study abroad program, I am in a very liberal environment. At the beginning of the campaign process many of my friends were Bernie Sanders supporters. While I didn’t feel strongly politically at that time, I objectively agreed with many of his ideas. Once Hillary was chosen over Bernie, I unceremoniously changed over my alliance. She was a woman with considerable experience in politics, and in my opinion would have made an excellent president.
The reaction to the election in the United States has been horrific from multiple parties. Some Trump supporters have taken it upon themselves to act on their prejudices and some Trump protesters have gone much too far in their dissent with the chosen President. As an American abroad right now, I am only reading about these atrocities. I am not there with you all, and as many are doing right now I send you all a message of love. I also feel the need, however, to send a message of awareness. How we react now forms these next four years, and the future of our country after that. Be kind, be strong, be united.
After all, the world is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment